As I'm planning some changes to my gear, I'm weighing on what to keep towards a full-frame oriented collection. Here's my jottings on some Sony E-mount APS-C lens I owned/used based on my memory.
SEL1018F4 - The first generation of ultra wide APS-C zoom without powerzoom but has stabilization (OSS). Maybe it is an old (and discontinued) lens so it wasn't sharp. I'm disappointed they take away the OSS for the new generation because Sony seems to rely on the body stabilisation, however, the Sony APSC body stabilization is simply not comparable to the FF's. Actually I owned two 1018, I bought the second one when the first one's focus no longer works (I must have overused it for video). To this date, I still long for a ultra wide lens with OSS, no luck so far. 4/10 for photo, 7/10 for video.
Sigma 10-18 F2.8 - Compared to 1018, this thing is sharp. Pairing with Sigma 18-50 f2.8 can be a great everyday carry set up. I used the Sony a lot less for photos since I own this one. But in APSC body the shake is noticeable in video due to this lacking OSS. 8/10
Sigma 16mm f1.4 - Sharp, but the distortion is noticeable. But its fatal point is the weight - too heavy that I didn't bother taking it out for use, not once after having Sigma 10-18 f/2.8. 6.5/10
SEL16F28 - The old, pancake lens. Terrible quality. And my copy (used) can't even focus properly, even using it on a proper gimbal won't balance well so don't bother. Sold mine for USD25. At this price, you might consider it a fancy body cover. 1/10
SELP1650 - Kit lens. Could be useful for video work on a very small-size gimbal due to its OSS. 5/10
SELP16502 - The 'updated' APS-C kit lens. The improvement is for supporting higher frame video, but I never used that so. 5/10
Sigma 18-50 F2.8 - I loaned this for 2 days along with a great lens so I can't make a fair judgement, but for its size and quality and that 2.8, this combo is quite good. 8/10
SEL18105PZ - The range and powerzoom makes this good for video; for photos it's too soft for a f/4, try the full frame 2070G and you'll know what I mean, that thing changed my perspective of f/4 as I was never happy with it on APSC. Price wise it's nice enough for a budget-friendly user. 5/10 for photo and 7/10 for video.
SEL35F18 - My first prime lens, it was with OSS for video work. I liked it, then I found it soft even in focus for photos. 6/10
SEL55210 - as a kit lens (by that I mean it's either this or none), it's okay. 70350G blows this thing out of the water. If you get this at a very discounted price, and you don't have demanding environment to work with, then it should be just ok. 5/10.
Sigma 56 f.1.4 - In my little world, that's the first lens showing me what sharpness is. And the bokeh! I'm still in love, just the full frame world has so much to offer. In the APSC world, it's still a keeper in my opinion. 8.5/10
SEL75350 - You can't ignore this major contender for sports/wildlife. After 6-7 years this is still a solid option, and this won't break your arm comparing to a similar set up in full frame. But I must admit, my very positive notes are only for sunny environment. For cloudy (acceptable) or even at night (no), the result is not too promising, reminding you f/2.8-4 is the way to go. 8.5/10
Tested on these cameras
a5100 - a light, little flip touch screen, camera heats up easily. [very early generation, don't recommend unless for budget reason or you just need something better than point and shoot]
a6300 - its low ISO performance is somehow better than the next generation (a66, a64, a61). Still useable, but bear in mind screen is non-touchable, which can be a pain for some (including me).
a6400 - the next generation from a6300 (&a6500), the color science has improved but main improvement to me is the touch screen (for focusing only), with a small flash. Light enough as a walkaround camera.
a6600 - no flash, an upgraded a64 with stabilization (better than none), touch focus supported, no flash. Good battery life.
0 comments