My Sony FF Dilemma

As per my previous entry, these days I've been working on the gear, transitioning to a more Sony full frame environment.  Here are things I've learnt so far.

1.  Weight

No joke.  When in my world of APSC, I despised Sony 85 F1.8 due to its weight, and now, it's one of  my lens closer to the lighter side (until Viltrox bringing out the 14mm F4 - that was the APSC weight).  I would also skip Sigma 16mm due to its crazy weight (405g).  I'm glad lightweight is something the manufacturers care now, as seen in the a7c line.  Still, a lot of the lens are not comparable to APSC's.  My current EDC (every day carry) Sony 2070G is already 400+ grams, I have to adapt soon if I want to use the white ones.

2.  OSS / IBIS

For Sony full frame body, the IBIS is indeed better than APSC, I can do 0.5 sec handheld (with non OSS ultra wide lens) sometimes and that's something I could never try with APSC body even with IBIS.  Just bear in the mind not every Sony's body IBIS is the same.  In the FF world, less OSS lens is a pity but understandable considering the weight and camera IBIS.  Understandable, but not ideal.  I still long for a SEL1018 v2 with OSS, it shows in video.

3. Video

Speaking of IBIS, Sony's camera has limited its body active and dynamic stabilization to be compatible exclusively with its own lens(!).  By that I don't mean the option greyed out, it's just not working.  That means if you want to do photos and videos in one lens, it has to be Sony's.  Not to mention some lens are varifocal, making 2070G a strong contender with its special range, parfocal quality, and stabilization compatibility with Sony cameras.  Even on a gimbal, the effect is still noticeable.  Sadly that's the way it is.

4.  Photo quality & cost

That's one reason why I'm switching to full frame - I've never felt happier when pixel peeping.  But then storing raw files is a cost to consider in times like this - the price of storage is rising every day 'thanks to' AI.  Jeez.  One more cost of using a higher resolution camera is the lens, you must use better lens.  I am told some lens are not enough to 'feed' the higher resolution body, say Sony's 35mm F1.8 and 24-105 OSS.  But that depends, some find it adequate and some don't.  If you use higher resolution body at darker area, the noise is noticeable, hence you must use a faster lens to keep the quality.   Luckily if your editing program is capable, that should be fixable.

5.  It drains your bank account

And my credit card balance too. Until you are stuck at a point where upgrade is no longer desired.

0 comments