Goodbye Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 Apo Sonnar T*

It was my dream lens years ago when I was broke, and now when I'm a little better now, it's time to bid farewell.  This is my brief evaluation after owning it for 5 months, with around 20 uses.

Why do you want it?
- Lightweight (compared to other 135mm)
- Zeiss quality
- Good price
- LED distance scale (so cool, Viltrox take note)

Why do you want to skip it?
- F2.8 [hence the lighter weight]
- Slower focusing system compared to today's standard
- Difficult to focus in low light at times
- Even with OSS, the minimum shutter to get a clearer picture (with FF IBIS) is still 1/200 at handheld.

Good for
- birds (at a relatively close distance, say in an aviary)
- sports (great at daytime)
- portrait (bokeh!)

I will get it if
- The price is right
- Does portrait work
- Use mainly in scenario with enough light

I had some good times with it in sports and aviary (see flickr), just it's time to move on.  Okay bye for now.  You were (briefly) loved.

DSC09537
How I gave the lens away, mentally.

0 comments